Re: hptrr driver panics on 7.0-RC2

From: Brandon Weisz <lists_at_avioc.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:14:39 -0600
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 12:11 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Brian Biskeborn wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've reported this problem to HighPoint, but I'm curious to see whether
> > anyone else has run into it. I'm using a RocketRaid 2314MS card on an
> > amd64 system. When I boot the install CD for 7.0-RC2, the driver panics:
> >
> > hptrr: (null): 180*32=5760 bytes
> > hptrr: (null): 180*288=51840 bytes
> >
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> > fault virtual address    = 0x3
> > fault code               = supervisor read data, page not present
> > instruction pointer      = 0x8:0xffffffff80502032
> > stack pointer            = 0x10:0xffffffff80fd0950
> > frame pointer            = 0x10:0xffffffff80822ecf
> > code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >                          = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
> > processor eflags         = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> > current process          = 0 (swapper)
> > trap number              = 12
> > panic: page fault
> > cpuid = 0
> >
> > This is with no drives connected to the controller. My machine specs:
> > Dell Inspiron 531S
> > Processor: Athlon 64 X2 4000+
> > Motherboard: Asus M2N61-AX (seems to be made specifically for Dell) with
> > the MCP61 chipset
> >
> > So: has anyone else seen a panic with this or other HighPoint cards? I
> > know HighPoint provides a binary blob for their driver, but could the
> > problem be in the wrapper code someplace?
> >
> > I wish I could provide more information, but not being able to install
> > FreeBSD limits my options there. I had to take a picture of the screen
> > and type in the panic output by hand :)
> >

> I'll take a look at it.  Since you don't have any drives connected, can
> you remove the card and then do the install?
>
> Scott

It panics with or without drives attached.

hptrr: (null): 180*32=5760 bytes
hptrr: (null): 180*288=51840 bytes

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x3
fault code              = supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xffffffff80515cf2
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xffffffff80bfc910
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xffffffff80bfca80
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
[thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
Stopped at      strlen+0x2:     cmpb    $0,(%rdi)
db> bt
Tracing pid 0 tid 0 td 0xffffffff80a72170
strlen() at strlen+0x2
vsnprintf() at vsnprintf+0x2e
hptrr_os_printk() at hptrr_os_printk+0x76
htp_final_init() at hpt_final_init+0x22d
run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks() at run_interrupt_driven_config_hooks
+0x47
mi_startup() at mi_startup+0x58
btext() at btext+0x2c

(hand copied)

This is 7.0-RC2, amd64.  On a i386 machine the system boots with a lot
of garbage from the hptrr driver, and will panic on halt/reboot.  I
didn't test if it functions on i386.

Brandon