Re: [src] cvs commit: src/include unistd.h src/lib/libc/sys readlink.2 src/sys/compat/freebsd32 syscalls.master src/sys/kern syscalls.master vfs_syscalls.c src/sys/sys syscallsubr.h

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:13:35 +1030
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> >> Yes, but it also means you can do offline analysis later. :)
> >> Tradeoffs either way.
> >
> > Yes, but being able to specify stdout to ktrace would be really,
> > really nice..
>
> Specifying stdout may be a bit tricky, since the traced application
> may be using the same stream to print output.  The same is possible
> with stderr, but may be a tiny bit less likely.

I didn't realise that the file descriptor used to write tracing data out
was 'owned' by the process being traced, I always thought ktrace did.

> It is probably easy to add an -F flag to ktrace/kdump which would
> inhibit the check for a `regular' file, so you could then write:
>
> 	( ktrace -aF -f /dev/stdout ls ) | \
> 	  kdump -F -f /dev/stdin
>
> 	( ktrace -aF -f /dev/stderr ls >/dev/null ) 2>&1 | \
> 	  kdump -F -f /dev/stdin
>
> But the first will probably fail when kdump tries to parse the output
> of ls(1), and the second may fail in a similar manner when kdump
> tries to parse an error message like a ktrace record.
>
> This sort of difficulty in separating the output of the traced
> process and the ktrace records themselves is probably at least part
> of the reason why nobody has done it yet.

I did have a look at the source and the file opening etc is handled by
the kernel but I am not sure who 'owns' that file descriptor.

If, as you suggest, it is the process being traced then yes it would
cause problems.

I guess it couldn't be moved to ktrace without rearchitecting how
ktracing works so the ktrace process sticks around writing stuff out to
disk.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum