Re: Urgent problem - 7.x doesn't work on HP servers

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 19:55:01 +0100
Morten Strårup wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
>>
>> FYI, I'm not seeing anything like this on the two DL 145 boxes I'm
>> using for 10gbps testing with 7.x / 8.x.  I did have problems with at
>> least a couple of the BIOS revs in the past, so I'd repeat the advice
>> offered elsewhere in the thread and make sure that it's up-to-date.
>> There was one BIOS rev where I couldn't use a boot loader cross-built
>> from i386 to amd64, but both the i386 boot loader and the natively
>> built amd64 boot loader worked fine.  The BIOS upgrade made the
>> problem entirely go away, go figure...
>>
>> Otherwise, you're probably down to the printf model for debugging,
>> unless you have an NMI button that can get into DDB?  Mine have NMI
>> buttons on the botherboard, I believe, but it requires opening the
>> case to get to.
>>

> Hi!
>
> It is possible to invoke an NMI through the Intregrated LightsOut
> management system that is built into the server.
>
> Look under Diagnostics when you get into the iLO system.

Thanks for the ideas, Robert and Morten - I'll try them. The reason I
thought it was something well known/common was that this is the second
HP system I tried 7.0 on (very different from each other) and both of
them failed in what looks as the same place :( It might just be bad luck.

I have the machine on my desk so any other hardware-related ideas are
also welcome.