Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block (7.0-RC1)

From: Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd_at_quip.cz>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:14:00 +0100
Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>  > panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block
>
> I had exactly the same panic, also on a FreeBSD 7 system
> with gmirror.  I'm not sure if it's related, but I tell
> you my story anyway ...
>
> Apparently it was caused by a bug that caused corruption
> in the file system.  The bug was fixed in October, IIRC,
> but the corruption remained and eventually crashed the
> machine again.  A forced fsck ("fsck -f -y") seems to have
> fixed it for me finally.
>
> So, my recommendation is this:
>  - Make sure you update to the latest sources.
>  - "fsck -f -y" all your filesystems in single-user mode.
>    Alternatively, newfs them and restore from backup.

This was on 1 week old (brand new HW) machine. Just installed and put it
in production (migration from one datacenter to another) so I think that
it is not affected by anything from October or before. /vol0 and /vol1
was newfs-ed about 2 days befor kernel panic.

But thank you for suggesion anyway.

Miroslav Lachman