Re: Packet corruption in re0

From: Robert Backhaus <robbak_at_robbak.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:47:43 +1000
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:03:02AM +1000, Robert Backhaus wrote:
>   > I am experiencing roughly 15% packet corruption on the re interface on
>   > my freebsd 7/amd64  box.
>   >
>   > FreeBSD gw.flexi.robbak.com 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #8:
>   > Tue Feb  5 09:49:55 EST 2008
>   > root_at_gw.flexi.robbak.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GW  amd64
>   >
>   > Just to make troubleshooting difficult, this problem only shows up
>   > after the system has been up for roughly 36 hours, depending on the
>   > amount of traffic.
>   >

>  I didn't take a look attached tcpdump files but I guess the
>  instability issue was fixed in HEAD. It's not yet MFCed but
>  I'll handle it in a week.
>
>  Would you try re(4) in HEAD?

OK, I'll do that. What is the best way to do that? csupping to "." seems a
bit drastic, and I don't do much with cvs proper. I take it that I should use
anon-cvs to grab the directory, but I don't quite know how.

>This is possibly a bit left field - but I experienced something like
>this once, and it was due to overheating - the edges of the (large) cpu
>heatsink hung over the circuitry concerned, preventing enough airflow
>and obviously offloading heat! So maybe check for something hot nearby
>to where the realtek stuff is.
>
>Cheers

Yes, I've been down the heat path, but the problem takes ~36 hours to recur
both if the system is turned on from cold, or simply rebooted. Mind you,
North Queensland could do with some cooling! I will take another look at the
circuitry if moving to HEAD's re doesn't fix it.