Recommended virtualization technique for debugging/developing FreeBSD

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:58:05 +0100
Hello,

I was wondering what people use, in the abscense of suitable actual hardware,
to debug/develop FreeBSD (the kernel in particular). I'm willing to resort to
almost any host, including Windows, as long as I have something reliable.

I haven't had much luck with qemu (crashes), nor virtualbox (crashes). I was
going to go for vmware on Windows, but while it ran FreeBSD pretty well,
before I had even percolated the disk layout enough to trigger the bug
(required root-on-zfs) I was hoping to trigger, the vmware configuration tool
crapped out on me and produced a configuration it could not itself read.

What do all you regular kernel developers use, if not physical hardware?

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org