Topology aware scheduling algorithm.

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:23:22 -1000 (HST)
Also in the cpuset.diff at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/cpuset.diff

There is support for cpu topology aware scheduling.  This allows the
scheduler to know which cores are colocated on packages and what the cache
arrangement between them is.

We have seen big improvements in some workloads and some reduction in
other workloads.  However, I believe this should finally close the gap on
the few benchmarks where ULE could trail 4BSD.  Please prove me wrong if
you can so I can continue to make ULE better.

Right now the MD code is slightly lagging behind what the scheduler can
utilize.  If you have an interest in digging through processor
documentation to write code to detect more information about the caches
please contact me.  I'd love some help.

This code and the cpusets will likely be committed to 8.0 by the end of
the week and then we'll discuss MFCs after some time to settle there.

Thanks,
Jeff