Re: why vimage?

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:15:12 +0100
> some people have asked me why I would want vimage..
> The answer is because it allows you to do lots of things easily
> that are hard to do normally.

I find it strange that people would ask this. To me, this is the type of
killer feature that I want to see in my favorite operating system, from a
user/syadmin perspective. There are several reasons why jails are preferable
to xen/vmware/etc. There are also several reasons why they are not. This
project eliminates a good chunk of those latter reasons.

ipv6 support is long-awaited for me personally. The ability to provide more
complete VPS functionality (including firewall rules) is most definitely
desired. Arbitrary setups like the one you descripted are also useful (I have
an actual use-case for this at home where I have not yet bothered connecting
some equipment due to the complexity of doing it - vimage would help a lot).

I cannot comment on the commit policies or internal technical reasons for not
including it yet, but you definitely have my "I want it" vote from the
user/sysadmin perspective.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org