Gjournal

From: srwadleigh <srw_at_udor.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:43:27 +0900
I am having a strange problem with gjournal on a thinkpad T41,

I am running: 7.0-PRERELEASE - Wed Jan 2 06:05:20 JST 2008
And have the problem with both a custom and generic kernel.

If I load gjournal through loader.conf or compile GEOM_JOURNAL into
the kernel, upon reboot all my slices change, and break booting.

ad0s1a becomes ad0a
ad0s1d becomes ad0d, and so on..

If I manually run gjournal load after boot the slices are fine,
everything works as expected.

Here is my journal setup:

/dev/ad0s1f.journal 64G /usr/home

Geom name: gjournal 2080874044
ID: 2080874044
Providers:
1. Name: ad0s1f.journal
   Mediasize: 70812433920 (66G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r1w1e1
Consumers:
1. Name: ad0s1f
   Mediasize: 71886176256 (67G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Mode: r1w1e1
   Jend: 71886175744
   Jstart: 70812433920
   Role: Data,Journal

Doing some research on the list I found a similar problem in the past
with gmirror, where the slice and device ending at the same place was
being confused. The solution suggested there seemed to be to hardcode
the provider names into the metadata.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-May/014448.html

My question is, is this possibly the same issue now with gjournal? and
is it possible to hardcode provider names after a journal has been
created?

thanks
srw