Re: [patch] Auto-setting hz to 100 inside QEMU/VMWare

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:40:54 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Robert Watson wrote:

>> I've only tried it out with qemu so far.  I'd appreciate reports of any
>> testing with other emulators, and comments from loader/forth gurus.
>
> With this patch, is one forced to use a HZ of 100 when running under a VM
> unless one modifies the loader scripts?  There are times when I experiment
> with alternative HZ settings in VMs, and as such it would be nice to have an
> intentional way to turn off auto-setting of HZ, and/oor specify what the VM
> HZ should be, using loader.conf.

On a similar note, it would be nice if there were a kenv/sysctl hw.virtualized
that was derived from the loader's decision (or in some other way), which
could then be used to key other configuration choices than HZ.  For example,
in the future we might want to change the way we did idle loops, power
management, process acounting, etc.  This could be used to key a HZ selection
in kernel rather than hard-coding knowledge of HZ into the loader environment.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge