Re: sbrk(2) broken

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 22:39:36 +0200
On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:38:40PM -0800, Jason Evans wrote:
> Poul-Henning noticed today that xchat fails to start if malloc uses sbrk
> internally.  This failure happens during the first call to malloc, with
> the following message:
>
> Fatal error 'Can't allocate initial thread' at line 335 in file
> /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_init.c (errno = 12)
>
> This can be worked around with MALLOC_OPTIONS=dM .
>
> The problem does not appear to be specific to jemalloc; I reverted
> src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c to revision 1.92 (last phkmalloc revision),
> which also uses sbrk, and the failure mode is the same.
>
> The failure occurs on both i386 and amd64.  It appears that sbrk(0)
> returns an address that is in the address range normally used by mmap.
> So, the first call to sbrk with a non-zero increment is fantastically
> wrong.  On i386 (ktrace output):
>
>   1013 xchat    CALL  break(0x28200000)
>   1013 xchat    RET   break -1 errno 12 Cannot allocate memory
>
> On amd64 (truss ouput):
>
>   break(0x800900000)  ERR#12 'Cannot allocate memory'
>
> sbrk is not a true system call, so it seems like the problem should have
> something to do with the _end data symbol.  I looked at it in gdb though
> and never saw an unreasonable value, despite bogus sbrk(0) results.  I
> do not know offhand how to get the addresses of .minbrk and .curbrk
> (register inspection within gdb while stepping through sbrk?), which are
> what sbrk actually uses (see src/lib/libc/amd64/sys/sbrk.S).  Perhaps
> the loader isn't initializing them correctly...
>
> I am quite pressed for time at the moment, and cannot look into this in
> any more detail for at least a couple of weeks.  If anyone knows what
> the problem is, please let me know.

I cannot say definitely what happen, but please note that the _end
symbol is defined by linker script, and it shall be present in all
executable and shared objects. The value you reported would be naturally
the _end value for some shared object.

I tried both the RELENG_7 and HEAD, and sbrk(0) correctly returns a
seemingly valid value like 0x8049644.

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>