Re: idle priority scheduling broken in 7.0-BETA4

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_chesapeake.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:37:06 -1000 (HST)
On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 03:31:34AM -1000, Jeff Roberson wrote:
>> ah, I'm sorry.  the new line with PRI_FIFO should read PRI_FIFO_BIT.  I
>> tested the patch but not with any idle prio tasks that run forever.
>
> That seems to work and I don't see any problems with it.  There were
> seven watchdog restarts over about 3/4 hr whilst the system was doing
> a buildworld but this is probably not completely unreasonable.

This is a boinc watchdog?  The client just didn't get to run for too long
during the buildworld?

> One oddity I noticed is that setiathome (unlike einstein_at_home) has one
> thread that seems to have lost the idle bit (though that thread appears
> to just idle).  This is equivalent to a process increasing its priority
> so I wouldn't have expected it.

If you notice the second thread is sitting in nanosleep.  In BSD there is
a static priority boost after sleeping that is revoked when you wake up.
This can also happen from priority propagation if you grab a lock that a
high priority thread wants.

>  PID USERNAME   PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 51503 boinc      171  i31 39944K 33052K RUN      3:43 100.00% setiathome-5.27.i
> 51503 boinc        8   19 39944K 33052K nanslp   3:43  0.00% setiathome-5.27.i3
>   10 root       171 ki31     0K     8K RUN      2:51  0.00% idle
>    4 root        -8    -     0K     8K -        0:54  0.00% g_down
>
> Let me know if you really want to get boinc working for yourself.

If there are any further complaints I will.  Is there any chance you could
also try it with nice +20 or nice +10 and report how the system behaves?

Thanks!
Jeff