(unknown charset) Re: sbrk(2) broken

From: (unknown charset) Skip Ford <skip_at_menantico.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:54:38 -0500
Robert Watson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> >Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
> >>The right answer is presumably to introduce a new LIMIT_SWAP, which
> >>limits the allocation of anonymous memory by processes, and size it to
> >>something like 90% of swap space by default.
> >
> >Not a good solution on its own.  You need a per-process limit as well,
> >otherwise a malloc() bomb will still cause other processes to fail
> >randomly.
>
> That was what I had in mind, the above should read RLIMIT_SWAP.

Are you referring to the implementation of RLIMIT_SWAP in the
overcommit-disable patch at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/overcommit/index.html

...or some other as yet unwritten implementation?  That patch doesn't
currently do 90% of swap but easily can.  That's been available for almost 3
years now.  I tested it at one point but not lately and it never went into
production.  Do you, and others, have a problem with that implementation?

--
Skip