Re: When will ZFS become stable?

From: Henri Hennebert <hlh_at_restart.be>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:48:09 +0100
Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>>> I can definitely say this is not *generally* true, as I do a lot of
>>> rsyncing/rdiff-backup:ing and similar stuff (with many files / large
>>> files)
>>> on ZFS without any stability issues. Problems for me have been
>>> limited to
>>> 32bit and the memory exhaustion issue rather than "hard" issues.
>>
>> It's not generally true since kmem problems with rsync are often hard
>> to repeat - I have them on one machine, but not on another, similar
>> machine. This nonrepeatability is also a part of the problem.
>>
>>> But perhaps that's all you are referring to.
>>
>> Mostly. I did have a ZFS crash with rsync that wasn't kmem related,
>> but only once.
>
> kmem problems are just tuning.  They are not indicative of stability
> problems in ZFS.  Please report any further non-kmem panics you experience.

I encounter 2 times a deadlock during high I/O activity (the last one
during rsync + rm -r on a 5GB hierarchy (openoffice-2/work).

I was running with this patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zgd_done.patch
db> show allpcpu
Current CPU: 1

cpuid        = 0
curthread    = 0xa5ebe440: pid 3422 "txg_thread_enter"
curpcb       = 0xeb175d90
fpcurthread  = none
idlethread   = 0xa5529aa0: pid 12 "idle: cpu0"
APIC ID      = 0
currentldt   = 0x50

cpuid        = 1
curthread    = 0xa56ab220: pid 47 "arc_reclaim_thread"
curpcb       = 0xe6837d90
fpcurthread  = none
idlethread   = 0xa5529880: pid 11 "idle: cpu1"
APIC ID      = 1
currentldt   = 0x50

With the 2 times arc_reclaim_thread `running`