Re: When will ZFS become stable?

From: Maciej Suszko <maciej_at_suszko.eu>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:05:44 +0100
Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Maciej Suszko wrote:
> > Kris Kennaway wrote:

> >> kmem problems are just tuning.  They are not indicative of
> >> stability problems in ZFS.  Please report any further non-kmem
> >> panics you experience.
> >
> > I agree that ZFS is pretty stable itself. I use 32bit machine with
> > 2gigs od RAM and all hang cases are kmem related, but the fact is
> > that I haven't found any way of tuning to stop it crashing. When I
> > do some rsyncing, especially beetwen different pools - it hangs or
> > reboots - mostly on bigger files (i.e. rsyncing ports tree with
> > distfiles). At the moment I patched the kernel with
> > vm_kern.c.2.patch and it just stopped crashing, but from time to
> > time the machine looks like beeing freezed for a second or two,
> > after that it works normally. Have you got any similar experience?
>
> That is expected.  That patch makes the system do more work to try
> and reclaim memory when it would previously have panicked from lack
> of memory.  However, the same advice applies as to Ivan: you should
> try and tune the memory parameters better to avoid this last-ditch
> sitation.

As Ivan said - tuning kmem_size only delay the moment system crash,
earlier or after it happens - that's my point of view.

> P.S. It sounds like you do not have sufficient debugging configured
> either: crashes should produce either a DDB prompt or a coredump so
> they can be studied and understood.

You're right - I turned debugging off, because it's not a production
machine and I can afford such behaviour. Right now, using kernel with
kmem patch applied it's ,,usable''.
--
regards, Maciej Suszko.