Re: When will ZFS become stable?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:08:55 +0000 (GMT)
On Sun, 6 Jan 2008, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet in the thread, but another
>> thing worth taking into account in considering the stability of ZFS is
>> whether or not Sun considers it a production feature in Solaris.  Last I
>> heard, it was still considered an experimental feature there as well.
>
> Last I heard, rsync didn't crash Solaris on ZFS :)

My admittedly second-hand understanding is that ZFS shows similarly gratuitous
memory use on both Mac OS X and Solaris.  One advantage Solaris has is that it
runs primarily on expensive 64-bit servers with lots of memory.  Part of the
problem on FreeBSD is that people run ZFS on sytems with 32-bit CPUs and a lot
less memory.  It could be that ZFS should be enforcing higher minimum hardware
requirements to mount (i.e., refusing to run on systems with 32-bit address
spaces or <4gb of memory and inadequate tuning).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge