Re: Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:58:02 -0800
Adam McDougall wrote:
> A summary of my opinion on this matter is that some i386 FreeBSD servers do have a
> place running zfs in a useful role, but some dedication and patience from the
> administrator is usually required, and the effort to tune at least kmem is nearly

In Russian we have a good saying: "You can teach a bear to ride a
bicycle, but will it ever enjoy it?"

The same is here - seemingly due to the ZFS design limitations and
limitations of the FreeBSD kernel you can't get ZFS to run reliably out
of the box on i386. Yes, you can probably do some tweaks here and there,
to make it more of less stable given the workload, but that's not what
most of the FreeBSD users expect from the file system. Unlike you, most
of administrators won't even bother to read tweaking documentation
explaining why ZFS is so tricky in i386, let alone doing actual
trial-and-error to determine the right set of tunables. More likely at
the first incident they would just dismiss FreeBSD/ZFS as a crap.

-Maxim