Re: ZFS honesty

From: Alexandre \ <alex.kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:03:16 -0500
On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 22:58 +0000, 韓家標 Bill Hacker wrote:
<snip>
> None are perfect. But ZFS is just *too* new. And not just on *BSD.
> If IBM had not already had GPFS, Sun might never even have 'invented' ZFS.
Could you by any chance elaborate -- from the information available to
me, I did not get an impression that ZFS is the cluster-aware filesystem
or will ever be one. OTOH that's all GPFS is.

> The 'other' ones with the longest 'history' - where known-problems have knwon
> avoidance/workaround, may well be XFS and JFS. Heavy-lifters iwht commercial
> track-records, both.
>
> Not to mention UFS...
>
> I'm still in the practice of 'slicing' into 50 GB or so - 100GB max - no matter
> *what* the drive size is.
OT: As someone, who has ~10TB of compressed high-fidelity documents in
production (AIX/JFS2), I can tell you that this approach will only take
you so far ;) I am up to 800GB filesystems by now.

> So where's the 'beef'?
>
> Half-terabyte *files*?  I surely hope not..
Not any better then 200 x 50GB filesystems ;)

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko