Re: ZFS on AMD64 - any recent crashes?

From: Thomas Vogt <freebsdlists_at_bsdunix.ch>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:38:02 +0100
Hi

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In light of the recent discussion about ZFS stability, does anyone still
> have kmem_map_too_small panics on AMD64 after tuning it (as presented in
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide)?

No crashes so far. ftp2.ch.freebsd.org is running FreeBSD 7 Beta4 with
ZFS on a 64bit Intel Quad Core with 4GB since 2-3 months. We provide a
cvsup mirror with cvsup.ch.freebsd.org and a portsnap mirror with
portsnap3.freebsd.org too.

As an official mirror for kde, mysql, fedora, opensuse, openoffice we
run several rsync processes a day and offer rsync for mirroring. No
problem so far. I never had any ZFS related crash.

I just set two paramters in the loader.conf:
vm.kmem_size_max="1073741824"
vm.kmem_size="1073741824"
and kern.maxvnodes=400000 in sysctl.conf

I often talk to Solaris admins for larg server farms. They normally use
at least 1 GB ram per 1 TB disk space with ZFS. I did the same thing.

Regards,
Thomas