Re: When will ZFS become stable?

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:30:05 +0100
On 07/01/2008, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Let try to think how we can warn people clearly about proper tunning and
> what proper tunning actually means. I think we should advise increasing
> KVA_PAGES on i386 and not only vm.kmem_size. We could also warn that
> running ZFS on 32bit systems is not generally recommended. Any other
> suggestions?

I'd suggest we do give all three warnings (KVA_PAGES, kmem_size, i386)
at once, preferably both when the ZFS module loads and when a zpool is
created. I think it's important that the tree pieces of information be
given at the same time so the user doesn't need to hunt solutions
after panics.

Your comment that people are panicking more than ZFS is correct, but
that illustrates the importance people give to having file system not
crash on them :)