Re: FreeBSD nss, getgroupmembership(3)

From: Frode Nordahl <frode_at_nordahl.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:34:25 +0100

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2004/12/01/0001.html

> 2- why not just make a new table, with key uid/username and with
> data the list
> of groups?
>   this is what we have here, the list is autogenerated each time the
> main
> password file
>   and/or group are modified. this reduces network noice and cycles
> conciderably.

I can query the LDAP database with a username and get a list of groups
effectively, but there is no existing API that can make use of this.

See the above link for discussion and reasons for adding
getgroupmembership instead of altering existing APIs.

--
Frode Nordahl