Re: more acd0+ihc9r problems

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:00:07 -0500

Tom Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:29 -0500, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>> I am using 8-current (including the latest pmap mods) amd64 on a
>> MSI Neo-F mobo (P35+IHC9R with intergrated re(4) and sata) with a
>> Plextor px-755a SATA dvd+/-rw.  I have the following issues with
>> /dev/acd0:
>>
>> If there is blank media present at boot time (have not tested
>> with non-blank media) depending on media type the following
>> happens:
>>
>> 1. re(4) disappears (cd-r) 2. named fails but re(4) is present
>> (cd-rw) 3. goes into infinite stall (not hang) (dvd-r)
>>
>> If write is attempted to media depending on media type the
>> following happens:
>>
>> 1. Fails to fixate due to timeout (cd-r) 2. Fails to write
>> anything (cd-rw and dvd-r)
>>

> Doctor, it hurts when I do this...
>
> 1) Define disappears - the hardware is no longer present or visible
> to the OS? What does pciconf -lv look like in both failure and
> success states?

I don't have the time atm to make a diff but the only diffs are re0 is
not on dmesg and/or pciconf -lv

> 2) How does named fail? Can you restart named? What error messages
> are output in both cases?

Inability to resolve any addrs... restarting works inermittently and
only for a few minutes at most... no error messages except for lack of
resolution (I use it as a local dns cache instead of serving any names
of it's own)

> 3) Where in the kernel does it stall? Can you break in with the
> debugger?

It stalls right after detecting the device details for /dev/acd0

> Tom

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Developer Tools