Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:08:43 +0100 (CET)
Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > Marian Hettwer wrote:
 > > Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
 > > > One thing that FOSS (BSD or GPL) has historical had issues doing
 > > > cleanly is seperating free software from free beer.  [...]
 > > > Yes the source should be avaible to everyone

No, not necessarily.  In particular, the BSD license does
not enforce availability of the source to everyone, and it
does not enforce anything else, except that the license
may not be removed.

That's not accidental, it's not a flaw, it doesn't need
repair.  It's intended.  And trying to discuss to "repair"
that is completely futile.

 > > > [...] my approach
 > > > (along with 3 other small software vendors) is to have a
 > > > requirement to contribute back to the community in some form (in
 > > > work or help support those doing the work), namely it is free
 > > > software but not free beer.
 > >
 > > Please stop this. FreeBSD is BSD licenced and if you want to start
 > > another holy war about wether this is good or bad, do it on
 > > freebsd-chat. Or even better, stop here, right now.
 >
 > a) I didn't start the thread and was keeping my comments to a min.

You didn't start the thread, but you started abusing it by
driving it into the licensing direction.

 > b) Contrary to it's charter -chat_at_ really is nothing except for a
 > flame redirect location (thus as far I can tell almost no one reads
 > seriously it)

That's wrong.  The chat list is being used for things that
are off-topic on the other lists.  Sometimes there are
"flames" indeed, but that's a minority.

How can you say how many people read it?  You have zero
data to back up that claim.  I do read it for as long as
it exists (it's mostly rather low volume), I have even
saved a few of the posts because they were interesting,
humorous or contained valuable information.  I have only
posted to it two or three times myself in all those years,
though.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Perl will consistently give you what you want,
unless what you want is consistency."
        -- Larry Wall