Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Joao Barros <joao.barros_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:39:18 +0000
On Jan 10, 2008 12:58 PM, Eric Anderson <anderson_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > this thread, is one of the people doing a great deal of work on this.)
> > Some of this is documented at http://wiki.freebsd.org/Performance.  If
> > there's more specific information that needs to be added there, let me
> > know off-list.
> >
> > There is also the work at http://wiki.freebsd.org/PerformanceTracker,
> > which I do not know the state of.  This sounds encouraging.
> >
> > FreeBSD is mostly driven by individual efforts (we are, however, seeing
> > more interest from corporations, some of whom see network performance
> > as a key issue).  To some extent it's more "interesting" to do new work
> > than do maintainance work; this is a classical software engineering
> > problem.  Again, I'm completely open to suggestions on how to get more
> > people interested in working in this area.
>
> I'd like to suggest that there are a lot of people there are not
> committers, yet would like to help.  Most times they are told to 'look
> at the PR database' - and while that is of course a direction to point
> them, I would recommend instead changing the current methods a bit.
> Most not-yet-committers have interests in a certain area of FreeBSD, and
> maybe they have experience there too.  Instead of the path being
> something like:
> - look at PR's, make patches, submit patches
> - After enough time, someone offers a commit bit
> - Once commit bit is accepted, get a mentor
> - Work under mentor for awhile
> - released from mentorship
>
> Make it more like:
> - Interested developer wants to help with FreeBSD in a particular area
> of his/her expertise or liking
> - A current FreeBSD committer for that area mentors the developer,
> suggesting PR's to look at, patches to test, projects to work on, and
> reviewing their patches.
> - The current committer also does the committing of any patches needed.
> - Once the new developer has shown 'goodness', the regular commit bit
> path is followed.
>
> The main difference is that a developer is given a 'mentor' very early,
> with guidance and a little hand holding in the beginning.  This would
> remove the 'wandering developer' problem (where a new developer seems to
> wander around looking for a simple bug to fix, or patch to try, not sure
> the best way to go about it, etc), and allow the mentor to focus the new
> developer on a task that may be important to the project (fixing an old
> bug, testing out a rotting patch, etc).  A lot of times the new
> developer does not know who to talk to for simple project related
> questions, and while asking on the lists usually does end up yielding
> results, I bet that most don't ask the question because it is simply
> more daunting than either just eventually figuring it out on their own
> or (if they had the option) asking a 'mentor' the question directly.
> Also, when someone feels they have some responsibility for an area of
> the code, they are more likely to respond to issues in it, and be proud

I like this approach but it can be humanly impossible. Ok, not
impossible but difficult.
The small amount of developers all claim of the very little time they
have to give to the project. Now imagine babysitting everyone that
wants/needs attention. Of course, getting more people onboard would
relieve the "small amount of developers" pressure but then again, I
prefer quality over quantity.
This kind of problem has risen recently on usb_at_ and something
definitly needs to be done, with the risk of FreeBSD being a
contributor based project, becoming a "it's too hard to contribute
project". This will alienate (more) people as they loose the feeling
of connection to the project.
I would welcome this suggestion as long as it is sustainable by the
developers. Actually it's theirs to welcome or not;-)

> Also - a really good (up to date) guide on setting up a nice development
> environment would probably help huge amounts.  I know there are many
> different environments, but that's great - we should write them all up.
>   That would get more developers up-and-running quicker.

This would be *MOST* welcome :-D

> Just my $0.02
>
> Eric

++karma on your $0.02