Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Erik Osterholm <freebsd-lists-erik_at_erikosterholm.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:15:41 -0600
On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 11:56:15PM +0900, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 10/01/2008, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze_at_bsdforen.de> wrote:
>
> This is the thing though. Its working for the developers, its not
> working for the users, so how do you think it'll get fixed?
>
> > The second big problem is the handling of regressions. PRs remain
> > unanswered or the reporters are told that the regressions they
> > report do not exist. Some of our members have even suffered the
> > experience that they developed a patch, but it simply was ignored
> > or turned down for the reason that it was a "Linux solution".
> > Especially frustrating for those among us who have never looked at
> > Linux code.
>
> Whats the PR number?

I'm coming in in the middle of this thread, but here's one from July
2006:
kern/100839

No one from the FreeBSD community ever responded on it.  I thought
that I'd even suggested removing the driver entirely, due to this
showstopping bug, and removing its listing as compatible, but now I
can't find an archived reference, so maybe it was in my head.

I love FreeBSD, and I used it on a daily basis, but there's an
example, if you're genuinely interested.

Erik