Re: powerd adaptive mode latching

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:10:14 +0100 (CET)
Stefan Lambrev wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > It seems that nobody is responsible for those things right
 > > now (or nobody feels responsible).  My PR bin/115513 is
 > > also still open.  I'm using that patch for a long time
 > > already and wouldn't want to live without it; it improves
 > > interactive behaviour a lot on my notebook with powerd.
 >
 > I really hope someone will commit this before 7.0 release, or it will
 > never be part of RELENG_7_0
 > and not everyone want to track RELENG_7.
 >
 > While still here any idea how to make powerd to not lower cpufreq under
 > let's say 1000HZ?

powerd(8) could grow an option for that, too, but maybe
your problem can be alleviated using existing options.

 > I want to manually set the allowed minimum, because my laptop is lagging
 > too much under certain speeds.

You should try to increase powerd's -r option from the
default 65 to, say, 80 so the adjustment for performance
kicks in more quickly.  It might help.

Also, if your laptop has a lot of frequency levels (mine
has 14 distinct levels, see sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels),
then you also might want to try my patch from bin/115513
and run powerd with a larger -d value, which means that
the frequency will ramp up faster.  The default is 2.
If you have many levels, it normally takes some time for
the CPU to come up to speed if there is a sudden load.
When you use a larger step value (e.g. -d 5), that will
happen more quickly.  That especially improves the startup
behaviour of media players and similar things.  Without
the patch, the first few seconds of video playback are
really horrible on my machine.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is over-complicated nonsense. And Bjorn Shoestrap's book
a danger to public health. I tried reading it once, I was in
recovery for months."
        -- Cliff Sarginson