Re: [Call for testers] "BSD ar"

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:16:48 -0800
On Jan 11, 2008 11:21 PM, Kai Wang <kaiwang27_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:40:36AM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:23:36PM +0100, Kai Wang wrote:
> > >
> > > I think it's time for "BSD ar" to get a public review after months of
> > > bug hunting and cleaning up done by jkoshy_at_ and me.  The majority of
> > > the coding work was done during the summer of 2007 and was sponsored
> > > by Google SoC 2007 programme.
> > >
> > > You can find the tarball at:
> > > http://web.student.chalmers.se/~kaiw/patch/ar-20080111.tgz
> > >

> > Do I drop the ar/ directory into src/usr.bin as a replacement
> > for the current ar/?
>
> Then make buildworld?
> This will possibly not work because you may need to turn off
> the build of GNU ar first, which is not simple because the build of other
> GNU tools may depend on the build of GNU ar. (I'm working on this)

I have a request.. can you put it in src/usr.bin/ar and make a build
hook to turn it on or off?  By all means, leave it off to start with
if you're not sure that it is ready, but it would be nice to capture
it in the tree.

Perhaps something like a temporary -DWITH_BSDAR switch for building
world would do.

--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com