Re: Improving the handling of PR:s

From: Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze_at_bsdforen.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:26:12 +0100
Peter Schuller wrote:
> The second, possibly worse effect, is that the original submitter, I believe,
> is less inclined to spend more time in the future contributing, if said
> submitter feels the work is wasted because no one commits or even comments on
> the PR.

I can confirm this, one of our members started writing a new driver for the
ES1370 sound chip (following the hardware docs), because the current driver
has sampling rate and other issues (at least for this user) to this day. To
see how commitments are received he sent a one-line patch for the existing
driver kern/98167.

It was never committed due to lack of further feedback from others and our
member stopped developing the driver. Since he explained his patch with
stating that the current implementation doesn't follow the HW-specs, I don't
think that further testing would have been required to commit it to a
developer branch like CURRENT or RELENG.