Re: Fix for GPE livelock on HPs

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:40:39 -0800
Volker wrote:
> On 12/23/-58 20:59, Nate Lawson wrote:
>> I've committed the below patch and want to MFC it to 7.0.  To do this, I
>> need people to test this quickly.  It probably has no effect in 6.x and
>> probably doesn't apply cleanly there.
>>
>> Please try this patch if you have a laptop and 7.x.  If you have
>> -current, just cvsup.  I'd like to make sure there is no regression.
>> I'm already aware that it fixes things for some HP users.
>
> Nate,
>
> can you be a bit specific for a) what GPE is, b) what the problem is,
> c) what to look for (any test procedures?) and d) which HP laptop
> models might be affected?
>
> I do have an Omnibook vt6200 (P-IV 1.8G) running 6-STABLE and a new HP
> 6715b (Tur-X2 TL-60) running 7-RC1 (currently installing on this, OS
> is not yet fully set up).
>
> If I knew what to look for, I might test your patches (at least on the
>  7-RC1 version).

A GPE is an interrupt of sorts.  I'm looking for any bad behavior the
patch might cause.  I'm certain it fixes lockups some HPs had during
thermal zone events (i.e. fan switching on when it gets hot).  Pretty
much anyone with a laptop that locks up and you suspect acpi should test
it.  And anyone who is willing to test it on another brand laptop to be
sure the patch doesn't break anything more would be welcome.

You should be able to do "sysctl hw.acpi" and see the temperature and
"apm" to see battery status without any new problems after applying the
patch.

-Nate