Re: RFC: Adding a hw.features[2] sysctl

From: Nathan Lay <nslay_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:38:25 -0500
Igor Mozolevsky wrote:
> On 14/01/2008, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au> wrote:

>>> /dev/sndstat?
>>>
>> A single handy counter example to the many many that are sysctls :)
>>

>>> If it's in /dev you can do neat tricks like ioctl-ing queries (like
>>> ioctl(/dev/cpuinfo, CINFOCTL_HAS_FEATURES, CINFO_SSE3|CINFO_SSSE3))
>>> instead of having *every* app parse the result of a sysctl; most of
>>> the time you'd only want to check for specific feature , it's much
>>> easier to do an ioctl that returns a boolean.
>>>
>> Except you can't do that from a shell script.
>> (eg wrapper script to run optimised binaries)
>>

> cat /dev/cpuinfo and parse away!
>

> Igor

I have to agree with Daniel here.  ioctl is probably inappropriate.
sysctl is already intended for gathering or setting system information
by both programs and/or people.  cat'ing /dev/cpuinfo sounds reminiscent
to Linux /proc.

sysctl() could fill a cpu features bitmask for programs.
sysctl dev.cpu.features (or something like that) could output those
features in human readable format.

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay