Re: How to disable acpi thermal?

From: Alexandre \ <alex.kovalenko_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:53:19 -0500
On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 21:56 -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> The man pages don't appear to be very helpful.  How do I
> disable ACPI thermal from shutting down my machine when it
> incorrectly is detecting false temperature readings?
> Do I have to disable ACPI altogether?  Can I safely kill
> the acpi_thermal thread?
As someone else have indicated, this might not be the solution.

> Thermal zone 0 skyrockets past 110C in a couple of minutes
> when trying to build a kernel.  All the other zones stay
> relatively static.  I suspect something is wrong somewhere
> because this machine is very lightly loaded and has never
> had a problem until now.  I just upgraded it from 4.x to
> 7.0.
It need not to be bogus -- if I turn off fan on my ThinkPad it will
overheat and shut itself down within couple of minutes of buildworld,
starting from the relative cool state. From the look of the stuff below
your fan should kick in no later then 10 seconds after tz0 reached 77C.
Do you hear it running before shutdown? If yes, maybe lowering threshold
in AC0 down from 77C will help. If not -- you will need to figure out
who is supposed to turn on the fan. You can dump your ASL (instructions
in the handbook) and post it someplace accessible -- I will take a look
and maybe spot something interesting, but, being far from the expert in
the field, I do not promise too much.

Do any vendor specific drivers (e.g. acpi_ibm, acpi_asus) match your
laptop?

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko