Re: [Call for testers] "BSD ar"

From: Kai Wang <kaiwang27_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:36:00 +0100
Hi Dag-Erling,

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:13:30AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Kai Wang <kaiwang27_at_gmail.com> writes:
> > I think it's time for "BSD ar" to get a public review after months of
> > bug hunting and cleaning up done by jkoshy_at_ and me.  The majority of
> > the coding work was done during the summer of 2007 and was sponsored
> > by Google SoC 2007 programme.
>
> Just one question: why wasn't this done in libarchive?

Don't quite understand what you actually mean. This ar(1) is indeed
based on libarchive's ar format support, (see
archive_read_support_format_ar.c and archive_write_set_format_ar.c)
which was initially coarsely implemented by me, later radically
improved by Tim. ar(1) itself is barely a front-end. (command line
option handler plus the cross-reference stuff)

> (ar is basically just an archiving format, the cross-reference stuff is
> an optional addition)

True. jkoshy_at_ had this idea last year. That's the motivation of
this reimplementation.

--
Kai