Re: resolver change?

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 20:49:47 +0000 (GMT)
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
>> A casual glance suggests no pertinent changes in that timeframe -- however,
>> were you just updating your kernel, or also userspace, and in particular,
>> libc?
>
> No, this is the weird thing.
>
> I'm starting to think I'm imagining it all...
>
> But this *definitely* worked correctly on January 13, and *definitely*
> didn't work correctly on January 21, nor does it work correctly today.
>
>> What happens if you back out getaddrinfo.c:1.86:
>
> I've been running with that version of getaddrinfo.c since long before it
> stopped working.

On the grounds that paranoia is clearly better, my suggestion at this point
would be to run tcpdump between the caching resolver and ntpd and see what is
actually going on the wire.  The name server should be rotating them in reply,
and it would be good to confirm that it's doing that.  It would also be good
to check that it's looking up what you think it's looking up, and indeed, what
it should be looking at.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge