Re: state of 7.0-RC1 on an IBM t60p

From: Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:08:03 +0000
Hi again,

unfortunately I've to correct me myself on the "wpi on T60 issue":

On 27/01/2008, Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
[...]
> On 07/01/2008, Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev_at_moneybookers.com> wrote:
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > Josh Paetzel wrote:
> [...]
> > > 1) wpi is nearly non-functional.  It seems to associate best to WPA2 networks,
> > > struggles with WEP and won't associate at all to open networks.  Once it's
> > > associated it spams the console with "discarding packet without header"
> > > and "wpi_cmd: couldn't set tx power" quite a bit, as well as other random
> > > output.  The real problem I've had with it is that it panics under moderate
> > > data rates, in the 1000-1500K/sec range.
> > >
> > You can try the latest wpi driver from perforce -
> > http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi
> > Also you can disable debugging.
>
> The latest version of the driver from perforce works on the T60. What
> makes me wonder is the fact that I need to specify the channel of the
> nearest AP. Otherwise the interface will get no link.

wpi works as long as one doesn't do anything that saturates the wlan
connection. E.g. running ssh terminal sessions is fine, but trying to
scp a bigger file crashes the machine instantaneously.

> [...]
> > > 3) sutdown output is garbled.  This doesn't seem to hurt anything,  but at
> > > some point in shutdown the console messages start interleaving.
> > >
> > First time I saw this in RC1 - never with 7-CURRENT or -BETAX (I'm
> > talking only about shutdown messages, not boot messages)
>
> Same here. This is not related to the T60, it's the same on my
> Athlon64 based server.

Not anymore.

> > > 4) acpi suspend and resume doesn't work, but that's not a huge shock.l
> > >
> > > 5) ath generates interrupt storms that are throttled.
> > >
> > Sorry, I do not have idea how to fix this.
>
> Never had any trouble with interrupt storms on ath. I'm using a D-Link
> DWL-G650, the card is identified as:
>
> ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x88000000-0x8800ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
> ath0: [ITHREAD]
> ath0: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
> ath0: Ethernet address: 00:19:5b:3a:82:be
> ath0: mac 7.9 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
>
> Seems to be pretty much the same.

On my machine (and some more, as reported in another thread) ath
freezes when hal is running. As a workaround removing the card during
bootup helps. It has just to be configured manually.