Re: ZVOL/ZFS hosting UFS filesystems ... ERROR!

From: James Snow <snow_at_teardrop.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:28:02 -0500
I realize I'm picking up an old thread, but I was having the same
problem.  Quick recap:

Create a UFS filesystem on a ZVOL, drop an entry in /etc/fstab, and fail
to mount the UFS/ZVOL filesystem at boot even if you add 'late' to the
options in /etc/fstab.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 05:04:19PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson_at_dsto.defence.gov.au> writes:
>
> > However, having said that, /etc/rc.d/zfs is before /etc/rc.d/mountlate.
>
> so everything is fine?
>
> > Suggestions ?
>
> If it still doesn't work, I'll need to see the full console output from
> the point where init(8) starts until the point where getty(8) starts.

For me the trouble was /etc/rc.d/fsck. fsck runs before zfs and
mountlate, fails to find the UFS/ZVOL filesystem, and aborts the boot
process.

You can work around this by setting pass# to 0 in /etc/fstab.  The
trouble with this approach is that since this is a UFS filesystem, ZVOL
or not, I'd still like to fsck it.

-Snow