Re: [fwd] cvs commit: src/lib/libthr/thread thr_mutex.c thr_umtx.c thr_umtx.h src/sys/kern kern_umtx.c src/sys/sys umtx.h

From: Alexander Kabaev <kabaev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:45:20 -0400
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:10:39 -0400
Coleman Kane <cokane_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Firefox depends upon a lot of external things, including glib, nss,
> and nspr (among others, probably) which would propagate thread-lib
> bugs even after the main app has been recompiled. I suggest running
> ldd on /usr/local/lib/firefox/firefox-bin (and other shared objects
> in that dir) to find out what all you might need to rebuild. At the
> very least, I'd expect a rebuild of nspr and nss to be mandatory. I
> *think* firefox uses nspr's thread implementation, and not the one
> from gthread (glib).

Recompiling is NOT the cure and people should not focus on it.

If one needs to recompile anything after a commit, then commit
breaks ABI which usually should be accompanied with a very good
explanation of why it was necessary. David's commit does not appear to
fall into that category and his changes are ABI compatible as far as
userland is concerned.

--
Alexander Kabaev