Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years / sorry I started flame war

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:44:20 +0300
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:28:50 -0700, "Rob Lytle" <jan6146_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Being able to use Sysinstall and not having it crash when a
> dependency is already present.  Sometimes I like to use Sysinstall to
> install gigantic packages where the compile time is 26 hours, e.g KDE
> metapackage, and my notebook uses an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2Ghz or
> thereabout.  That is one hell of a long compile time.  For this
> request I will just have to wait for FreeBSD 10.0.

Crashing is a bug.  We should fix that.  Having said this, I often use
portupgrade for this sort of thing.

After mounting the DVD, you can see what would be installed with

    # mount /cdrom
    # env PKG_PATH=/cdrom/packages/All portupgrade -n -N -PP postfix

and then you can actually *run* the installation by removing the `-n'
option from the portupgrade run.