Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

From: Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:39:08 +0100
2008/7/3 Doug Barton <dougb_at_freebsd.org>:

> 1. It should be library-based and therefore be capable of supporting at
> least a few different UIs (see above).
> 2. At least one of those UIs should be functional over a standard serial
> console.
> 3. It should be scriptable.

I was thinking of doing it, but nobody provided any constructive ideas
and a lot of other installers started popping up, like the
bsdinstaller et al, so I wasn't gonna waste any time on that front,
and instead just ended up with a massive script that 'works for
me'(TM) which does funky things like geom and ccache/distcc world
build of the system it's installing onto.

I had the first req. up and kind of expanded it into pretty cool stuff
that essentially allowed the whole of system to be managed by
providing custom plugins, but the monolithic world makes things a lot
difficult to make the installer fancy.

I'll happily revive the project if it's not going to be a total waste
of time (read: others will be interested in contributing ideas and
testing it).

Cheers,
Igor