Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

From: Randy Bush <randy_at_psg.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 05:47:41 +0900
> Sounds pretty much in line with what I was looking for.  However, I
> think I would like to see it be a bit more complete than sysinstall in
> the area of geom partition labeling (concat/strip/raid/encryption), and
> perhaps also ZFS support.  I realize that adds complexity a fair amount,
> but one of the biggest areas of feature lack in sysinstall today is that
> you are basically stuck with the original BSD partition structure and
> UFS, whereas we expect increasing numbers of users to deploy ZFS.  We
> don't have boot support currently, but being able to set up /data as a
> ZFS file system would be great.  Today, people have to do an initial
> install on, say, a small boot partition and then relabel/deal with the
> rest of the disk, boot a live CD, or worse, discover they have to
> repartition, which really fails to expose some of the excellent
> ease-of-use, auto-configuration, etc, features that we otherwise have in
> this area.

i suspect many folk installing zfs want a gmirrored boot partition, as i
do.  and setting zfs up is trivial next to doing a gmirrored boot on two
small partitions on the two drives.

but with the varied file system options and strategies we have, ufs,
zfs, gmirror, crypted, ... i suspect that trying to get sysinstall to
support us all is a path to having sysinstall need a dvd as opposed to a
cd-rom.

randy