Re: kernel modules wont load

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 22:04:47 +0100 (BST)
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I can't get my oss sound to load, and the first error I get is this:
>
> osscore.ko: depends on kernel - not available
>
> That came from both the oss logging file and dmesg.  I don't understand what
> "depends on kernel" means, could I get a hint on that?  I think it's the
> reason that later oss modules don't load correctly.
>
> Thanks for any help on this, I'd like to get my sound working again.

In HEAD, we're currently building all modules with an automatic version
dependency on the version of the kernel they are intended to run in.  The
error message should be telling you need version X but it found version Y, but
doesn't, unfortunately.  Rebuilding the module should get it working.  I seem
to recall printing the error better is awkward because the dependency failure
is generated somewhere deep in the linker, and the error is printed on the
surface, but should be fixable.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge