Re: Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years

From: Rick C. Petty <rick-freebsd_at_kiwi-computer.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 22:02:09 -0500
On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 11:55:41AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:

> IMO, the installer should allow you to partition the disk(s), format
> the partition(s), install the OS, configure a user, and reboot the
> system.  Anything beyond that should be handled by the OS tools, from
> within the installed and running OS.

It already does all of that, but why reboot right away?  The first thing I
do while the system is installing is run csup(1) to get the latest source,
build and install world/kernel, and build all my ports.  I also setup my
gmirror and do all my configuration.  The only reason I reboot is to use
the latest kernel and mount from the mirror.

I'd like to see other OSes do all of that.

-- Rick C. Petty