Re: Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

From: <aslam_mohamed_at_wordbank.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:05:21 +0100
Hi,
I have been using FreeBSD/ZFS for our backup system for last few
months.. We had 6TB external disks connected through Firewire to the
Server. Last week all the backup data disappeared along with the pool
and everything!!!..When I typed zpool status - it says no pool
available..Build up to this incident has always been a firefighting
situation for me. We use Rsync to sync all the servers to FreeBSD's ZFS
pool everyday. Most of the time Rsync hung on the middle of the syncing
process.  When this happen I have to restart the server to run the
backup again and  mount the ZFS pool (it requires manual mounting most
of the time!!). Sometimes it throws some error like -
GEOM: da0: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da0: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.
GEOM: da1: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.
GEOM: da1: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable
I don't know what caused the disappearance of the ZFS pool and if
someone could explain how I can retrieve the data from the external
disks, that would be really helpful?..

Many Thanks

Aslam Mohamed

Network Support Analyst