Re: Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

From: <aslam_mohamed_at_wordbank.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:37:03 +0100
Thanks for your reply. I did get some weired messages like ' vdev
failure'  just two days before the ZFS pool disappeared, but I don't
know whether this is from ZFS or another GEOM issue. I shut the machine
down and restarted everything back and got it to do the sync again.
Later I noticed zpool status was showing some big numbers like (83, 90
...) on checksum column. I did the zpool clear and it cleared the
numbers. Then I think couple days later the sync process stopped in the
middle. When I investigated it, I found that zpool status is not there.
I think the firewire/FreeBSD could be a potential contributor to this
problem. Now I am trying to recover the backup data (if there is any in
external disks!!) by connecting the external disks to SUN Solaris and
getting the SUN/ZFS to see the pool!!!.. I cant think of any other ways
to recover the backup!!!..

Aslam