Re: Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

From: <aslam_mohamed_at_wordbank.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:23:37 +0100
Something interesting, I just slot couple of 1TB SATA in to the same
FreeBSD machine and re-created the zfs pool (this is just to make sure
that without firewire the ZFS can  work well in FeeBSD) . When I reboot
the machine I see the following appears on booting... This is the same
thing appeared before with Firewire!!

ad4: 76324MB <HDS728080PLA380 40Y9028LEN PF2OA65A> at ata2-master SATA150
ad8: 953869MB <Seagate ST31000340NS SN05> at ata4-master SATA150
ad10: 953869MB <Seagate ST31000340NS SN05> at ata5-master SATA150
**GEOM: ad8: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.**
**GEOM: ad8: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.**
**GEOM: ad10: corrupt or invalid GPT detected.**
**GEOM: ad10: GPT rejected -- may not be recoverable.**
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
WARNING: ZFS is considered to be an experimental feature in FreeBSD.
ZFS filesystem version 6
ZFS storage pool version 6

Now I am running Rsync to backup all the file servers and it had done up
to 1TB without complaining.. Currently, the Zpool status looks pretty OK..

  pool: backup
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        backup      ONLINE       0          0              0
          ad8       ONLINE          0            0             0
          ad10      ONLINE        0           0              0

errors: No known data errors

I don't know in the future there will be any issue because of this Geom
messages... is there any known problem like zfs/geom/gpt
incompatibility?.. is it the ZFS causing this error(!) messages?..any
thoughts?...

Thanks