Re: Boot from ZFS

From: Duncan Young <duncan.young_at_pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:43:09 +1000
Be carefull,  I've just had a 6 disk raidz array die.  Complete failure which
required restore from backup (the controler card which had access to 4 of the
disks, lost one disk, then a second (at which point the machine paniced, Upon
reboot the raidz array was useless (Metadata corrupted)).  I'm also getting
reasonably frequent machine lockups (panics) in the zfs code.  I'm going to
start collecting crash dumps see if anyone can help in the next week or two.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that you can still lose everything on an
entire pool, so backups are still essential, an a couple of smaller pools is
probably preferable to one big pool (restore time is less).  zfs is not %100
(yet?).  The lack of any type of fsck still causes me concern.

Duncan

PS I do think zfs is great, but it's not perfect.  If I can boot directly off
zfs, I would make sure I had an offline replication of the boot disk, in case
of failure.