Re: Heads Up: shutdown keyword added to 34 rc.d scripts.

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:18:20 -0500
In the last episode (Jul 16), Doug Barton said:
> I've run with this locally for quite a while and just haven't had a
> chance to commit it. OTOH I don't use most of the stuff covered by
> this, so I'd like to get it tested in real world conditions for a
> while before it's MFC'ed.

> Log:
> ~  Add the shutdown KEYWORD to those scripts that start persistent
> ~  services to allow them to do a "clean" shutdown.
>
> ~  I purposely avoided making changes to network-related stuff since
> ~  the system shutting down is pretty conclusive, and there may be
> ~  complicated dependencies on the network that I would rather not try
> ~  to unravel.

I think shutdown should be reserved for programs that save state
between instances or otherwise would cause a "cleanup" operation to run
then next time they are started after an unclean shutdown.  Adding
shutdown to things like amd, mountd, moused, etc. simply forces what
would be done in init's final SIGTERM sweep to be done sequentially
instead of in parallel.  Also, if any of those daemons doesn't want to
immediately exit for some reason (amd hanging on a stuck mountpoint,
for example), it increases the likelyhood of the global shutdown timer
expiring and force-killing other daemons that might have wanted the
chance to shut down cleanly.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com