Re: Heads Up: shutdown keyword added to 34 rc.d scripts.

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:03:06 -0400
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008, Doug Barton wrote:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> >Adding
> >shutdown to things like amd, mountd, moused, etc. simply forces what
> >would be done in init's final SIGTERM sweep to be done sequentially
> >instead of in parallel.
>
> The ability to do things sequentially is a key benefit of the rc.d
> system. The fact that we have not been taking full advantage of that
> to date is (once again IMO) an oversight.

A niftier trick would be to actually denote the shutdown
dependencies between apps. Then SIGTERM (or whatever the
appropriate shutdown operation is) can happen in parallel as much
as possible, without accidentally shutting down a service before
dependent services have had a chance to clean up. There's probably
not as many interesting deps for shutdown as there are for
startup...