Re: Call for testers: re(4) and RTL8168C/RTL8168CP/RTL8111C/RTL8111CP

From: Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:42:14 +0900
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 09:27:33AM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
 > On 2008-07-14 03:35, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
 > > Here is patch for re(4) link handling.
 > > Copy if_re.c and if_rlreg.h from HEAD to RELENG_7 and apply
 > > attached one. If you still see watchdog timeouts, please turn off
 > > TSO and let me know how it goes.
 >
 > I've tested this trough several reboots, and I haven't been bitten by
 > any watchdogs yet. :)  I'll run some stress tests today, to see if it
 > handles that too.
 >

 > > One user reported TSO issues on 8169 family controllers but I
 > > can't reproduce this on my 8169 hardware so it could be related
 > > with silicon bug of sepecific revision of the hardware.
 >
 > I'm using re's default settings, which seem to be:
 >
 > re0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
 >         options=399b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
 >
 > So TSO for IPv4 but not IPv6, right?  I haven't yet seen any problems

Yes.

 > because of it.  What would be a good way to "exercise" TSO?

One developer reported TSO breakage on 8169 controller but I
couldn't reproduce it on my hardware. It seems that the TSO
breakage also resulted in watchdog timeouts for his case.

Just plain bulk-transfers of large files(ftp, scp etc) will
automatically take advantage of TSO feature. You can easily check
them with tcpdump on Tx side as TCP segment size is larger than
interface MTU.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon