Re: Broken APIC on my laptop or bug in FreeBSD?

From: Alexandre \ <gaijin.k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:03:08 -0400
On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 21:20 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> I recently had to replace my dead laptop, and I bought a replacement
> relatively fast, but something is broken with APIC on this one.
>
> FreeSBIE 2.0.1 (based on 6.2-RELEASE) seems to automatically disable the
> APIC, using hint.apic.0.disabled="1", so I didn't realize APIC failed to
> work properly until I dump(8) and restore(8)'d my backup to the new
> laptop.
>
> After booting with the APIC enabled, I found out that:
>
>   * In single user mode, after `boot -sv', I can keep working without
>     any major slow down.
>
>   * When I exit single user mode, and a few of the rc.d startup scripts
>     run, the laptop becomes progressively slower, and eventually crawls
>     to an unusable state.  I can almost complete logging in as `root' in
>     ttyv0 but only if I keep furiously moving the mouse around.  If I
>     don't move the mouse at all, the typed characters may never actually
>     appear on ttyv0.

Are you by any chance using cx_lowest="C3" (or "LOW") in your rc.conf? I
have seen these symptoms (including mouse inducement of the typed
characters) when cpu0 on my laptop went to C3. Nowadays I have C3 on
cpu1 and C2 on cpu0 and life is good. Then again, I am running RELENG_7
(which AFAICR was 7-CURRENT at the time), so YMMV.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)