Re: ZFS patches.

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:54:36 +0200
On Monday 28 July 2008 10:33:03 Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 08:34:00PM +0200, Max Laier wrote:
> > Hi Pawel,
> >
> > On Sunday 27 July 2008 14:54:13 Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfs_20080727.patch.bz2
> > >
> > > The patch above contains the most recent ZFS version that could be
> > > found in OpenSolaris as of today. Apart for large amount of new
> > > functionality, I belive there are many stability (and also performance)
> > > improvements compared to the version from the base system.
> >
> > nice!
> >
> > > Check out OpenSolaris website to find out the differences between base
> > > system version and patch version.
> > >
> > > Please test, test, test. If I get enough positive feedback, I may be
> > > able to squeeze it into 7.1-RELEASE, but this might be hard.
> > >
> > > If you have any questions, please use mailing lists
> > > (freebsd-fs_at_FreeBSD.org would be the best).
> >
> > Is this supposed to help with memory pressure on i386, too?  Or do the
> > caveats from the wiki still apply?  I heard some anecdotal evidence that
> > it would indeed help.
>
> Yes, it should fix most if not all 'kmem_map too small' panics, at least
> from what I tried. Tunning kmem_size is still needed to get better
> performance.

With the i386 default settings it was not too hard to get the attached panic.
Some cpdup and rm cycles of src and ports to a single disk zfs pool.  With
512M I haven't been able to kill it, yet.

> > Everybody, remember to use "patch -p0" - just bit me ... again.
>
> Grr, forgot to mention that, sorry.

No problem, wasn't meant as criticism but as a community service rather.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet